NIS vs. Network Manager

Recent versions of NIS have included support in ypbind for Network
Manager.  This support currently causes ypbind to disable NIS client
functionality when Network Manager reports that the computer is
disconnected.  Unfortunately, Network Manager is frequently installed on
systems where it is not in use and which have network configurations
which it does not support.  On many of these systems the result is that
Network Manager runs and reports that the system is disconnected from
the network, rendering ypbind unusable.

Fixing Network Manager does not seem reasonable at this point.  There
are three fixes in ypbind that I can think of:

 - Disable Network Manager integration completely.

 - Disable Network Manager support at runtime by default.  The
   disadvantage here is that this would be done by disabling a
   frequently edited conffile so many users would not pick up the new
   default on upgrade and would therefore be affected by the integration
   problems.

 - Change the code so that the Network Manager notifications are treated
   as advisory only (triggering checks for server status on network
   status changes rather than assuming that the reported state is
   accurate).  The main disadvantage of this is the fact that it's a
   code change

Would any of these changes be considered acceptable for etch by the
release team?  Improving the code seems best in the long run but I'm not
sure if that is a suitable change for etch.

Apologies for bringing this up so soon after my last upload; I've seen
some new examples of problems which made me expect to see more examples
of this than I had previously thought.