Re: Mozilla codebase releases 1.8.1.2 and 1.8.0.10

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 12:13:37PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca> writes:
> > * Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt (he@ftwca.de) wrote:
> >> I would love to see an upload to unstable before you start with that
> >> work, so that we can get a releasable version of iceweasel into
> >> testing soon. If time allows, you can propose a new packages with
> >> reorganized/added patches at a later point, but right now, I would like
> >> to get big pieces like iceweasel finally ready for release.
> > I'll try to roll a new release tonight.
>
> This led to #413162 (and friends). Could you please do another upload
> fixing only this bug, so that we finally have a version that is
> releasable?

This is not going to happen for the following reasons:
 - There are non filed RC bugs affecting the current iceweasel, which include:
   - Broken on hppa
   - Preferred form of modification not provided for tri-licensed logo
   - Copyright file doesn't include the copyright for the logo
   - Random crashes when null characters are present in justified text with
     unknown security consequences
   - Oudated config.guess and config.sub
 - There are unmet release goals, which include:
   - Having a blue globe on the logo
   - Fix for XUL FastLoad cache corruption on upgrade of jar'ed chrome
   - Removing links to Firefox release notes
   - Make the default home page be set to something (missing file)
   - Unified about page with iceape
   - Avoid home page to be set to unexisting file when the profile was
     initially imported from mozilla, which homepage file disappears with
     transition to iceape.

Plus, upstream is going to put up a 2.0.0.3 release fixing regressions
introduced in 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.2, including a fix on client certificate
handling that may be important at least for french people who want to do
their tax declaration online using iceweasel.

I don't know when this release is going to be done, but I have a
2.0.0.2+dfsg-3 release ready for upload.

You can find the changelog here:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-mozilla/iceweasel/trunk/debian/changelog?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

It fixes all of the above problems, reverts some modifications that are now
useless, and unifies patches with xulrunner and iceape, to ease patch handling
for us maintainers (most of the latter are really cosmetic changes, except
changes to the xpcom assembly for m68k, which has been applied for a while
on iceape and xulrunner, and may fix unreported glitches on this architecture).

I'm still waiting to see how fast upstream is going to release 2.0.0.3 to know
when I'll upload or if I'll just introduce the client certificate fix in
2.0.0.2+dfsg-3.

There is also another random crash bug that could fix a whole lot of the
reported crashes that is currently under investigation by Alexander Sack,
which I'm also waiting to see if it's going to be fixed soon.

Mike