Re: Making mediawiki FHS compliant

Le samedi 24 février 2007 12:46, vous avez écrit :
> > Ok, it was my understanding from previous comments in the bug history
> > that this couldn't be done non-intrusively, because mediawiki would then
> > look up the real directory and use that value for things that it
> > shouldn't?
>
> In fact it's easy, it's a one-line patch

And it is done in the awaiting mediawiki1.9 that is in the NEW queue.

Again I know how to resolve this but I think that the implementation is much
more cleaner by doing it in mediawiki1.9..
Again, this is one of the changes that must be done and others are to be very
intrusive on the package, I have already listed them:
> * Let think a moment of what involved solving this issue. It involves:
>   - Changing the patch for installation messages to reflect the /etc
> location
> - Adding a patch for defining this MW_INSTALL_PATH
>   - Changing the documentation for reflecting this new path too
>   - Changing the automated update script
> And, perhaps the most important:
>   - Add an updating code which detects wether the configuration is in /etc
> or in /var and apply the good changes. Of course, in order not to blow
> again any file, this script as to be started before the packages files are
> copied.
> - Also, you may add an advice to the administrator via debconf so
> that he is aware of this change in his configuration.

All of this is done straith forward and non intrusivly in mediawiki1.9: new
configuration files are created with this define, old are patched and since
the package uses a different location for its files, nothing more has to be
done.

Frank, if you think this can be solved cleanly in mediawiki1.7 why don't you
just put up a complete patch instead of only one of the things to do ?
If then it looks good, I would apply it happily.

Romain