Re: Please unblock mysql-dfsg-5.0 5.0.32-6 <- ABI problems!

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 01:05:48PM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:

> Please allow mysql-dfsg-5.0 to be updated from 5.0.32-3 to -6.

> The main issue is probably the one from 5.0.32-4:
> After the accidental upstream ABI change in libmysqlclient15.so we forgot
> to raise the minimum required version in the .shlibs file.

If this is the only reason for a freeze exception, then it's a non-issue.
There is no old version of libmysqlclient15off around anywhere in the
archive for packages to get built or installed against, so even if the
shlibs are off, that's not something we need to unblock the package for.

> Now some packages like libdbd-mysql-perl crash with strange error messages
> as they receive communication packages from MySQL that are slightly longer
> than they expect and thus overwrites unrelated variables :-(

This, OTOH, sounds like an incompatible ABI break that should have had a
*package* name change when it happened, not a shlibs bump.  I'm sure it's
far too entrenched now to be worth trying to change the library name, but we
do need info about what packages will need binNMUed.  Is it just any
binaries in the archive, depending on libmysqlclient15off, that were
uploaded before 5.0.27-1 was available (7 Nov 2006)?

> The changes from Monty Taylor address issues that would probably have caused
> RC bugs in the future (he's mysql employee and sent patches instead of filing
> a bug report :))

Um, that's a vague rationale; I'm "probably" not going to make a freeze
exception for a "probably" RC bug. :)

I need to review this for consideration anyway, because of the my.cnf
bugfix; so I'll let you know if I think there are any problems.

Thanks,