Please unblock kernel-package/10.066
I have just uploaded a version of kernel package that contains
updated spanish man page translations, as well as typographical
It also contains a number of bug fixes, which correct real
problems in the package; and in each case I have tried to balance the
upside with potential impact on things like official kernel images
and the installer (none of the changes should impact either
The fixes include adding missing arch specific scripts to the
header packages on ia64; required for third party compiles; and the
lack of which makes the headers package on ia64 useless.
Also unblocked are header, doc, and manual packages for Xen and
UML, which make it possible for users to compile third party modules
for their virtual machines; since the official packages do not use
make-kpkg for xen/uml; this does not impact them, and since these are
new packages that users can create, there is no regression.
Also includes a tightened dependency on coreutils, so images
compiled on Etch will pull in a version of coreutils on Sarge that
allows the postinst to work.
kernel-package (10.066) unstable; urgency=high
* Bug fix: "kernel-package: Enable -source and -headers packages for Xen
kernels", thanks to Ian Campbell. This is a simple change, and should
have minimal impact on any other package, or on current user built
packages. The upside is that the previously disabled packages are
enabled for Xen and UML variants, allowing people to build third party
modules for Xen adn UML variations -- and even if these were to break
(they do not, in my testing), there is no regression. In the future,
the image and modules packages will be separated, to allow for
host/guest installs. Official kernel images do not use make-kpkg to
build kernel or uml images, so the official images or debian-installer
are not impacted either. (Closes: #390881).
* Bug fix: "kernel-package: postinst link_in_boot value set by
image_in_boot", thanks to Niall Walsh. This was an out-and-out cut and
paste error; and the fix is very simple (remove offending line). The
downside is minimal, and current implementation is just wrong.
* Update spanish manual pages, thanks to Rudy Godoy. He also provided
patches for spelling errors and style flaws in the English man pages.
* Bug fix: "Typos in manpage", thanks to Goswin Brederlow
* Bug fix: "kernel-package: default stem inconsistent with
documentation", thanks to Lionel Elie Mamane (Closes: #400697).
* Bug fix: "'man kernel-img' typo: "messgaes"", thanks to
A. Costa (Closes: #397379).
* Bug fix: "'man kernel-pkg' typos: "Mutualy" and "theversion"", thanks
to A. Costa (Closes: #397378).
* Bug fix: "make-kpkg clean: leaves scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist
behind", thanks to Yann Dirson. This was a simple typo, which
prevented the naming back scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist to
scripts/package/Makefile -- making clean not restore the package to
original state after running build/clean. There is little downside to
this typo fix; we rename the Makefile, and we should be restoring it
in clean. (Closes: #397518).
* Bug fix: "kernel-package: linux-headers doesn't inclue arch-specific
scripts", thanks to dann frazier. When trying to compile external
modules on on IA64/McKinley ItaniumII, the Makefile in arch/ia64/
needs some scripts from arch/ia64/scripts/ directory. These scripts
were not so far being shipped. On non ia64, this has no impact on the
headers package built; on ia64 the changes are required for the
headers package to have any value. (Closes: #405494).
* Bug fix: "kernel-package: kernel image cant be installed when vmlinuz
link is already", thanks to Kai Sassmannshausen. Actually, the problem
was not depending on a new enough version of coreutils. See Below.
* Bug fix: "kernel-package: dependency problem: kernel package
installation uses a invalid option of readlink", thanks to Kai
Sassmannshausen. In release version 10.063, I cleaned up the postinst
as while I was at it, going with readlink -q -m instead of the built
in version. Since -m was a flag not present in Sarge's coreutils, this
means the generated image files should have a versioned dependency on
coreutils. The previous versioned dependency was not strict enough,
updated to a version that works. (Closes: #407130).
Don't expect people to keep in step--it's hard enough just staying in
Manoj Srivastava <firstname.lastname@example.org> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B 924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C