Solving the linux-2.6 firmware issue

Hello,

Today Bastian Blank and I finished the preparations to release the next
linux-2.6 package with an orig.tar.gz complying with the GR2006-007.

The following drivers will be completely removed from the next upload,
because they contain legally not distributable components:

dabus
cops
dgrs
3c359
smctr
emi26
emi62
keyspan

As we need to upload a new orig.tar.gz file, we need to rename the
source package. Among the various possibilities, I think calling it

linux-2.6.18

like we did with linux-2.6.16 seems the best choice, and there will not
be any need to cope with problems which may arise if the name contains
more dashes or a + sign etc.

After etch is out, the next version (probably 2.6.20) will of course be
called linux-2.6 again.

Does this create any trouble, beside the package having to go through
the NEW queue?

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--