Re: Please unblock kqemu

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 14:25, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Scenario:
>  - module package for the 2.6.18 kernel installed
>  - installation of a new module package for a 2.6.19 kernel: the udev
>    rules file gets erased by the new module package, and the symlink
>    is recreated, even if the user removed it previously
>
>  - now remove the ancient module package for the 2.6.18 kernel: the
>    postrm happily removes the symlink and the rules file
>
> Worst of all: the udev rules file only gets created if udev is
> installed at the time the postinst is run.

> The policy for udev rules is:
>  - ship /etc/udev/foo.rules
>  - symlink into /etc/udev/rules.d the first time the package is
>    installed and only the first time
>  - remove the symlink when the package is purged
>
> And /etc/udev/foo.rules must be a conffile, damnit ! There are enough
> packages shipping udev rules in the archive that you could have found
> a correct example to base your package on.

Since each kqemu-* modules package is a different package (like
linux-images), it seems like the best way to fix this would be to have
a "kqemu-common" package that handles all of the device stuff (udev,
modutils/modprobe settings, etc).

(I suggested this in a different bug report I just filed today on kqemu.)

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>