Re: Request for an "etch-ignore carte blanche" for alternative texlive dependencies

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 08:38 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> I would like to start a mass bug filing (not yet discussed on -devel,
> severity non-RC) on packages that depend on teTeX without an alternative
> TeXlive dependency.  This is mainly targetted at lenny, but I would also
> like to encourage people to fix their bugs if they still plan uploads
> for etch.

Can I just say that this is the wrong time for this?  How about waiting
until after etch?  The time for this was long ago if it were going to be
in etch, and my exposure to the issue has been that texlive does not
provide identical interfaces, or at least that it doesn't promise to,
and that the bug reports I've seen do not specify exact dependencies
which would be suggested.

I'm not against it, but it seems really foolish right now.

Also, why on earth do we not just *drop* tetex?  I was told by texlive
people that tetex upstream is dead.  Is this true?  If it is true, why
not drop tetex entirely and declare appropriate Provides in the texlive
packages, and do things with a proper transition the normal way?

Thomas