How should I get important changes to K3b into testing?

The cdrecord/mkisofs suite of command-line tools has recently been forked
and renamed to wodim, genisoimage, etc.

The K3b front-end has been updated to support most of these changes.
However two problems persist in the current version that's in testing
(0.12.17-5):

 1- mkisofs has been renamed to genisoimage
 2- readcd has been renamed to readom

The first problem has already been fixed in unstable (prior to the freeze, but 2 days
too late to make it to testing) as version 0.12.17-6.  It involves changing
the dependency from mkisofs to genisoimage and remove some checks inside K3b.

The second problem has not yet been fixed since I am wondering what to do at
this point given the existing upload to unstable.

The second problem (readcd -> readom) is much more serious as it disables
the functionality in K3b that requires this external program which can no
longer be found.  Fixing this would involve:

  - changing a string in the code
  - removing some version checks in the code
  - (no change to the package dependency)

I would highly recommend that the readcd fixes be allowed into testing since
it breaks important parts of K3b.

As for the mkisofs change (the one in unstable already), I would prefer to
see it in testing as well (to remove the dependency on a dummy package), but
since it does not break K3b, I can live without this and prepare a version
of K3b for testing-proposed-updates which would only fix the readcd issue.

What are your thoughts?

Francois