Re: Packages rename and conffiles

Bill,

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:03:06PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> A fair number of conffiles have changed of packages.

[...]

> Unfortunately, I know how to avoid spurious dpkg conffiles handling
> with either of them separately, but not with both of them at once.

> So we have to take a position on this issue. I can provide the list
> of affected packages. There is at least openssh, vim and openoffice.

What position do you think we should take on this issue?  If there's no
known solution that avoids conffile prompts with both the old and new
versions, and given that there's no good systematic way to arrange for one
version of dpkg or the other to be installed at the time of upgrade,
perhaps it's best to favor the new dpkg?

Thanks,