Re: 2.6.19, kernel-package problems and what are our plans for etch ...

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 11:36:30AM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 08:26:10PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> >   - What is stopping 2.6.18 to enter testing ? The PTS says "Should ignore,
> >     but forced by vorlon", so does this mean it will enter testing today ?
> >     What about the remaining (or new) RC bugs ? Some of them being open
> >     against 2.6.17, so also present in testing.
>
> We need another upload of linux-2.6 and linux-modules-extra-2.6 to fix
> the following issues:
> linux-2.6:
> - Some small security fixes.
> - Fix for internal posix types support for s390.
> - Conflict with too old initramfs generators, the fallback entry matches
>   them also.
> - Don't longer disable serial drivers in xen images.
> linux-modules-extra-2.6:
> - Disable squashfs on arm, does not work.

Ok, do we have a plan for this ?

> >   - latest info from Bastian was that the 2.6.19-rc6 experimental packages in
> >     experimental failed to build because of some kernel-package problem which
> >     caused silent bugs. Bastian, do you have any additional info to provide
> >     which may give a light to the problem ? Manoj, can you have a look at
> >     this, and maybe help us fix the issue ?
>
> I'm not longer interrested in communicating errors in software, which is
> not able to catch errors but reports silent success instead. This is the
> fourth bug with this result in the last 6 months or so.

Well, we can :

  1) Revert the infrastructure changes to the 2.6.18 one.

  2) You could give as much information as you can about the problem, so that
  someone else (well, probably not me, because Manoj will not speak with me as
  far as i know), can follow up on this with him.

In particular, one issue which remains open in the current situation, is that
some could argue that it is not a k-p bug, but one in the infrastructure code,
and as very few people apart from you have an oversight of what is really
happeneing.

I guess the more satisfying solution is 2), you provide a bit of info about
what the problem is, and someone else goes to manoj and or to kernel-package,
and resolve the problem.

Thanks for your reply, Bastian,

Friendly,

Sven Luther