Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

Bill Allombert a écrit :
On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 01:42:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:55:02PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
It's with some regret that I have to confirm that m68k is not going to be a
release architecture for etch. We have also asked about removing m68k from testing since it is not
currently a release candidate; Anthony Towns has indicated his preference
to defer this until another solution can be implemented for m68k's needs. This raises the question again of what such a structure should look like; I
think it would be a good idea for us to begin to tackle this question,
It's just short of a month since Steve posted this, with, as far as
I've seen, no concrete suggestions on what the m68k porters want to do
about this. I expect we'll be dropping m68k from etch fairly shortly,
unless someone comes up with a plan for supporting a "Debian 4.0-m68k"
release in the next few days.

My personnal plan is to set up one or two fast amd64 octocore as a m68k buildd.
That would lift most of the objection with the port.

The question is to know if it is ok to use emulators to build and upload packages?

If yes, this could also help the arm port. An emulated arm system under QEMU on an Opteron 2GHz is faster than some (most of ?) arm build daemons, and can have a lot more RAM. Just imagine 8 build daemons running on an octore machine...

Anthony, by any chance, could you arrange for a donation ?