Re: Dependencies of Essential good enough for postrm?

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 11:15:22AM -0500, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

>  I just stumbled in a nasty bug in apache (stable) that used a
> non-essential package in its postinst.  I looked if the same was still
> true for unstable, and found that apache2 uses also a script from a
> non-essential package (update-rc.d) and fails if it isn't present.

>  Though, said script is in the (pre-)dependency chain of an essential
> package.  I am quite sure that one can depend on the dependencies of
> essential packages being resolved when using the postrm, though as the
> package itself isn't itself essential at least aba wanted the point to
> be raised and be made clear for the release policy.

$ grep -l update-rc.d /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.postrm|wc -l
99
$

When you say it's a "nasty" bug, do you mean this assumption actually broke
something for you?

I think the requirement that Essential: yes packages be usable when unpacked
but not configured implies that their dependencies must also be minimally
usable when unpacked but not configured, doesn't it?