Re: Etch timeline is unrealistic because non-free firmware is NOT being dealt with

Daniel Dickinson <cshore@wightman.ca> writes:

> If permission is given to distribute the blobs unmodified (i.e. read
> from disk, upload to device), then the question is about the social
> contract.  Personally I think firmware blobs shouln't be covered,
> because the reasons free software is important don't apply.

Many of the reasons certainly still apply.  But that isn't the point.

The Social Contract does not say "when such-and-such reasons apply,
Debian is 100% Free Software; other times we ship non-free software
and call it free."

Moreover, there have been now TWO general resolutions designed to test
whether the developers really want Debian to be 100% Free Software or
only 99% Free Software, and twice now, the decision has been 100%.

Thomas