Re: release update: Etch 4.0, Blockers and Goals, Arch status, kernel 2.4, etc

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 05:06:49PM +0000, Marc Brockschmidt <he@debian.org> wrote:
>> (...)
>> Etch will carry 4.0 as version number.
> Just out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind the major version change ?

Hysterical reasons. Actually, sarge should have been 4.0 (as the
differences to woody were quite big (installer, ...)).

>> (...)
>> And these release goals currently:
[...]
> I'd like to add this one:
> - Remove mozilla

Yeah, I've been looking into this issue from time to time

> That involves rebuilding all packages that depend on mozilla against
> xulrunner. Bug #370436 is tracking the progress

I've added usertags after filing my bunch of bugs, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=xulrunner-transition;users=debian-release@lists.debian.org

blam seems to be largely unmaintained and is upstream-dead, so we may
want to remove it too. (O: bug is #360583)

libgecko-cil will be removed from sarge, as it is deprecated (got that
From the maintainer). It's only rdep in etch is blam, which either needs
to be ported or to go.

The rest of the packages needs some more poking of maintainers or NMUs,
feel free to do that. I'll look into this once I have more free time at
my hands, which should be at the beginning of next week.

The other blocker for the removal of mozilla from etch is that we don't
have seamonkey in the archive. For those wanting to use a monolithic Web
suite, we should provide either mozilla and seamonkey... Packaging seems
to be stuck, though. ITP is #350740, if you want to help out.

> While talking about release, I got bitten by #377418 which I'm pretty
> sure, on top of being a problem with all mozilla-based packages
> (thunderbird, firefox, xulrunner, mozilla), is something that is
> probably present on a lot of packages: those using uname in their build
> system.

Hmmm, I need to discuss this with other release team members. It's
pretty weird.

Marc
--
BOFH #95: