Re: bin-NMU of nagios 1.x packages in unstable?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:09:20AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> > > followed by a

> > > bug#465656 fixed, we made the binNMUed

> > > two hours later.

> > And I'm not interested in having to close such bugs. :)

> right, that's kind of superfluous and overkill.  however, i still think
> it would be nice if at the end of a binNMU upload something fired off
> an email to $foo@packages.debian.org saying "your package has just been
> binNMU'd by debian-release, fyi" (providing more info would be even
> better).  I'm not sure if that would be better addressed in the archive
> scripts or in whatever triggered the binNMU in the first place.  in my
> situation there was no notification, no changelog entry, nothing in the
> packages.qa.d.o page, etc.

Sure, I agree that it would be nice if such notification happened; but I
don't think its absence is so much of an issue that it outweighs the
benefits of doing binNMUs under the present circumstances -- and I'm afraid
I also don't have time right now to ensure such notifications are happening.

> > In the general case one cannot know, a priori, that a given version of a
> > package will be compatible with future Debian revisions of a related
> > package.  I don't think maintainers that are concerned about such
> > incompatibilities should be asked to change their package dependencies just
> > to support binNMUs.  The right solution here *is* to enhance dpkg-dev so
> > that it knows the difference between source and binary versions.

> agreed, and that's not something i want to have to support.  i think i saw
> this discussed on d-d a few months back but don't recall anything coming
> of it.

Patches exist; I don't know why they haven't yet been integrated into dpkg.
Perhaps the dpkg mailing list holds more clues.