Re: C++ transitions breaking libaspell

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:05:01AM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 04:36:15PM -0500, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Can someone please review http://bugs.debian.org/343060 and tell me what
> > to do about it?  Several people are claiming libaspell needs to be
> > rebuilt, and in that case it would need a package name change and yet
> > another painful library transition.  Obviously I don't want to do this
> > unless absolutely necessary.
>
> Since this seems to be a C++ package that only exports a C
> interface, a simple rebuild should do.  There is no need to
> change the name.

I agree.

I know nothing about C++ linking, but from what I read in #328421 and
heard from scim upstream, I suspect this may be also related to the weak
symbols in libraries.  If that is the case, as the rebuild is not going
to change the (claimed) ABI, renaming shouldn't be necessary.

I need someone more knowledgeable to confirm my analysis above though
(especially the "weak symbol issue -> no need to rename" part).

Ming, scim maintainer
2006.01.02