Please let wwwoffle into etch

Dear Release team,

I would like to request that wwwoffle be allowed into testing.  I admit
that the package is not in a ideal shape, but it doesn't have RC bugs,
it exists in sarge and has a considerable number of users (rank 3816 in
popcon) that would be left with the unsupported sarge version soon.

I am not sure why it has been removed from testing at all. aba's hints
file says

#20061204
[...]
# 400329
remove wwwoffle/2.9-2

At that time, wwwoffle had a RC bug open for 10 days without any
response, which is bad - but a couple of days after the removal, it
turned out that the bug is at most important.

Maybe aba had other reasons for the removal than this bug alone, but if
it was this bug alone, I think the removal was a mistake.

I learned that wwwoffle is not in etch only today, when a new RC bug was
reported (#404861) about comments in a configuration file being lost
upon upgrade. On IRC, vorlon said that he's undecided whether this type
of bug is RC.  I tried to investigate in order to prepare a patch and
found that the code already does everything that seems necessary to
preserve comments.  To me it is unclear whether there's a bug at all and
where, and I have therefore lowered the severity and tagged it moreinfo
(and I'm subscribed to the bug).

In case that you do not let it into etch, I think we should *really*
document this in the release notes, and point users to alternatives.  I
am only aware of polipo, large proxies like squid play in a different
league.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster