Re: Please unblock debian-goodies (explained)

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> (please CC: on replies, I'm not subscribed, sorry for breaking the thread
> because of this)

Please, don't set a M-F-T header with only the list address if you want to be
CCed...

>> Luk Claes wrote:
>>> Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
>>>  - debian-goodies (0.27): uploaded yesterday, fixes important (non-RC) bug
>>>   #264985 (checkrestart is useless in previous releases) and also fixes
>>>   non-RC bugs in another script (network-test), it also enhances
>>>   documentation by providing one of the missing manpages (checkrestart.1)
>>   We have to draw the line somewhere, I'm not keen to unblock this...
>
> I really think this one should be unblocked, based on the guidelines for
> changes accepted sent by Andreas:
>
>> Andreas Barth wrote:
>> (...) here are the guidelines for changes that will be
>> accepted into testing during the freeze:
>> (...)
>>  - fixes for severity: important bugs in packages of priority: optional
>>    or extra, only when this can be done via unstable;
>
> #264985 is severity 'important' and debian-goodies is priority: optional
>
>> (...)
>>  - documentation fixes.
>
> The checkrestart.1 manpage is a documentation fix, and, really, an important
> one. The manpage says it might be useful to determine if a service restart is
> necessary after a system update to weed out security bugs.  But, at the same
> time, it explicitly warns that admins should not exclusively depend on this
> tool (since there are sometimes false positives) to determine wether or not
> the system needs to be rebooted after a system-upgrade.
>
> AFAIK there is currently no other tools to do this in Debian (libc6 has
> something in a crude way in it's postint IIRC), so the need is there. I'd
> rather we don't ship tools which are defective and users migh rely upon them
> for security purposes [0] because they are pointed to [1] or recommended by our
> users [2].
>
> I know this should have been fixed a long time ago in the release cycle.
> Sorry for bringing this up now, but I didn't had the Python skill to do it
> and a patch for this bug was not provided until recently.

This is no good excuse IMHO as you could have tagged the bug 'help' or asked
on d-devel etc...

Though unblocked anyway after another review and some days more testing.

Cheers

Luk

--
Luk Claes - http://people.debian.org/~luk - GPG key 1024D/9B7C328D
Fingerprint:   D5AF 25FB 316B 53BB 08E7   F999 E544 DE07 9B7C 328D