Re: ORBit2-2.14.4-1

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006, Sebastian Rittau wrote:
> Loic Minier (CC'ed) contacted me, because he wants to see ORBit 2.14.4
> in etch. He says that he has problems with 2.14.3-0.1 (the current
> version) that 2.14.4 fix. I've now prepared ORBit2 2.14.4-1 [1] and am
> currently testing it, but I don't expect major problems, since ORBit is
> fairly stable and GNOME has a sane release policy. Is there any chance
> to get this version into etch, if it proves to be stable? The main
> change between 2.14.3 and 2.14.4 is the addition of timeout code, which
> avoids possible hands. Apart from the there's mainly code cleanups and
> warning fixes.

 Thanks Sebastian! :)

 Just for the record: the problem I'm currently experiencing and which
 might or might not be fixed with the current version is quite certainly
 a timeout issue: after periods of high load (such as when building a
 large package, e.g. gtk), some apps have IPC problems.  For example,
 when I try opening Galeon windows, it complains it has crashed (which
 isn't true), when trying to open GNOME configuration applets, they
 complain that gnome-settings-daemon can't be reached, and I have
 trouble login out.  I've had this problem since months if not years.
 The new upstream release changes many blocking calls to add timeouts
 where possible, and this might help with my problem, but perhaps not.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
 "Forget your stupid theme park! I'm gonna make my own! With hookers!