Please push gnujump and gnujump-data in Etch (was: Re: Package name change)

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 01:53:22AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Bas,

Hello,

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 02:12:06PM +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > One of my packages, SDLjump, has been renamed upstream to GNUjump (since
> > it became part of the GNU project).  However, there has not been a release
> > of the renamed version, and it may take some time before that happens (a
> > few months, I think).
>
> > SDLjump is not in Sarge.  Is it a good idea to rename the package now, so
> > that the package name in Etch will be gnujump, and no transition is needed
> > when Etch+1 (sorry I forgot the name) is released?  Or should I just wait
> > for an upstream release, and package that after Etch is out?
>
> It sounds like it may be likely for users to be looking for gnujump in the
> etch timeframe, not knowing about the SDLjump name.  Is that a fair
> assessment?

Yes.

> If so, I would tend towards renaming now, but this must be weighed against
> the possible confusion to users by making available a version of gnujump
> that never existed upstream.

Well, the upstream source is currently available from the GNUjump download
page at gnu.org (but it's called sdljump).

I've just uploaded the package with the new name, and would like it to be
pushed into Etch.  When that happens, sdljump should be removed from it.

For clarity, the changes between this new package and the sdljump version in
Etch are all in documentation (package description, man page, copyright) and
package name.  For stability purposes, it could be considered a "translation
update". ;-)

I've also added a conflicts+replaces+provides, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Bas Wijnen

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html