How to handle filename conflict "aleph" (Packages aleph, tetex-bin, texlive-bin)?

severity 389163 serious
thanks

Dear release team,

I just noticed

,---- Etch RC policy:

|     Packages must not install programs in the default PATH with
|     different functionality with the same file name, even if they
|     Conflict:.
`----

We've got a problem here, since all three packages are in testing,
provide /usr/bin/aleph, and conflict with each other (or rather, the
*tex* packages conflict with aleph).

The right solution to this would be to package the "new upstream version"
of aleph, which changes the name to afnix.  However, the aleph package
has been orphaned (#374120), and the ITP afnix has not yet yielded a
package.  I wouldn't want to rely on that for etch (although this is the
first time I contact Paul about this, so I might be wrong).

If there'll be no afnix package in etch, the only other solution to this
problem seems to be to remove aleph from testing - any NMUing won't make
sense without doing the actual work of packaging afnix.

To me it seems as if the current situation is better than having no
aleph/afnix at all.  However, it violates the release policy.

What should we do?

Regards, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster