Re: new upstream stable release of pango (1.14.8)

Hi Loïc,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 11:36:39AM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
>  I would like to upload a new upstream stable release of pango, 1.14.8.
>  Pango has an important number of rdepends, but is also very stable
>  upstream.  This release brings some bug fixes, one being relatively
>  important since it fixes a thread safety issue which affected at least
>  nautilus (but pango is not to be considered thread safe).

>  I'm attaching the release changes, as well as diff of ChangeLog and
>  NEWS for your review.

>  Pango has a udeb.

>  I propose an upload to unstable.  If the 10 days delay seems too short,
>  pango can wait longer before being hinted.

>  I am uploading the new upstream to experimental for now, to give you
>  some time to review the release and the plan, and because I read about
>  a failing test case:
>  <http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-November/msg00107.html>

I see that this has been uploaded now to unstable.  Sorry for not commenting
sooner.

If pango1.0 is *still* not threadsafe even after the fixes in 1.14.8, why is
it important to try to fix this crash in pango1.0 instead of fixing it
comprehensively in nautilus?

Unfortunately, the upload to unstable includes bumped shlibs, because
pango1.0 bumps the shlibs for every new upstream version.  I don't know
whether the shlibs change is correct in this case; it certainly means we're
going to have a hard time shipping with 1.14.7 now, though, given that there
are already 27 packages blocking on the new pango1.0 update and it's only 2
days old...