neon26 and .la files

Hi Release Team,

 I ask for a standpoint for #400140 [1] which asks for put back
library .la files into libneon26{,-gnutls-}-dev . They were removed due
to #386652 [2], where the Subversion packaging team asked for their
removal. But #400140 [1] says the upstream Subversion source can not be
compiled without them.
So should I let them back to the packages or not? I don't want to ruin
anything as we are close to Etch. The neon26 packages have big reverse
dependencies like Subversion and Openoffice.org .

Thanks in advance,
Laszlo/GCS
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-libraries