Re: Fixed RC bug in frozen parted : #392767: [mac] parted is unable to reread partition tables created by d-i/partman.

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:01:20AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 18:07, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I remember (but am not anymore 100% sure, so a reply from frans/joeyh
> > would be nice), that frans told me last week or so, that an upload of
> > parted was ok with regard to d-i RC1, since parted is not in the image,
> > and not migrated to testing, but i would like confirmation on this, and
> > also advice from the debian-release folk, thus posting here.
>
> No objection to an upload to unstable if it does not change the ABI. If it
> does change the ABI it needs more coordination.

This is what i remember from two weeks ago when i thought i fixed the proble,
but it was actually another problem.

> The new version is too late for RC1 though, but can of course be tested
> using daily images.

Fine with me, but them going in asap after RC1 would be nice. I wonder if they
also break x86 RAID installs, since Bastian said he encountered the bug on x86
and s390, but since nobody complained about this ...

> Glad to see that this has been tracked down.

Yeah, it was one maddening bug, which i had to debug with the box running fans
to loud (well, a bit better, since i had fancontrol, but it really needs
2.6.18 to be acceptable noise level), and with a problem that happened only in
d-i, and d-i chrooted environment.

BTW, this bug was visible in knoppix also, and some other debian-derivative
apparently.

Friendly,

Sven Luther