Re: ABI changes in gnomeVFS 2.16

Le mercredi 06 septembre 2006 à 17:29 -0300, Otavio Salvador a écrit :
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Happily, all these packages all depend on libbonobo as well, because
> > they are also linking to it. One of the reasons for the move is that it
> > these functions are only needed by applications also using libbonobo.
> >
> > I was thinking of uploading the new libgnomevfs2-0 package with a
> > conflict on libbonobo2-0 (<< 2.16). This way, these packages shouldn't
> > break.
>
> Also, when uploading to sid a binary NMU will be need to be schedule
> on them, right?

Fortunately, even that is not necessary. These packages all depend on
both libgnomevfs2-0 and libbonobo2-0. All following combinations provide
the necessary symbols:
      * libgnomevfs2-0 <= 2.14 and libbonobo2-0 <= 2.14
      * libgnomevfs2-0 <= 2.14 and libbonobo2-0 >= 2.16
      * libgnomevfs2-0 >= 2.16 and libbonobo2-0 >= 2.16

Only with libgnomevfs2-0 >= 2.16 and libbonobo2-0 <= 2.14 the symbols
aren't made available, hence the conflict.

> Wasn't better to release a libgnomevfs2-1?

If you ask me, of course it would have been better. Upstream didn't want
to start a painful ABI change for a core GNOME library. Also,
libgnomevfs <= 2.14 depends on libbonobo, and the libtool bugs that
generate explicit indirect dependencies led them into thinking that the
application's dependency on libbonobo in this case is guaranteed to
exist.