Re: kernel packages to remove from 'testing'

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:21:48PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 21 August 2006 13:20, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > # This should serve as a collection of permanent hints
> > # to keep unsupported kernel packages out of etch.
> > # I don't know if these are all 'ready to go' yet, but
> > # eventually they'll all be desirable.

> I see no need to add these hints. Both the kernel team and d-i team are
> aware of the need to get rid of pre-2.6 kernel related packages and are
> actively working on that.

> Adding removal hints now would only frustrate the current usage of
> remaining packages.

Sorry Frans, but any current use of these packages is well overdue to be
fixed.  Given that kernel-source-2.4.27 is RC-buggy, I'm now working through
getting its reverse-dependency tree removed from testing.

Are there still architectures using 2.4 in d-i as of beta3?  If so, why?

Looking through the d-i sources, I only find references to 2.4 for m68k and
for powerpc/apus; the apus packages aren't in etch, and m68k remains a
non-RC arch, so neither of these seem to be reasons for keeping 2.4 around.

Thanks,