Re: Dependencies of Essential good enough for postrm?

Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> writes:

>         Hi!
>  I just stumbled in a nasty bug in apache (stable) that used a
> non-essential package in its postinst.  I looked if the same was still
> true for unstable, and found that apache2 uses also a script from a
> non-essential package (update-rc.d) and fails if it isn't present.

>  Though, said script is in the (pre-)dependency chain of an essential
> package.  I am quite sure that one can depend on the dependencies of
> essential packages being resolved when using the postrm, though as the
> package itself isn't itself essential at least aba wanted the point to
> be raised and be made clear for the release policy.

update-rc.d is one of those "virtual Essential" things, like awk.
sysvinit depends on either sysv-rc or file-rc, both of which provide
update-rc.d.  Neither can be made essential itself, since then you can't
install the other, but in practice one or the other is part of the
essential set.