Re: Reclaiming automake

* Artur R. Czechowski (arturcz@hell.pl) wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 07:11:14PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > automake1.4: This is the old school package, that's been completely
> > unsupported for a number of years (since 2002). It certainly not used
> > with any new software and any software still using it should be
> > migrated away from it. It is also the only package that provides
> > "automake", cause there are still 73 packages by my reckoning that
> > build depend on automake and expect that be automake 1.4.
> Have you considered packages depending on automake1.4?
>
> apt-cache rdepends automake1.4 | grep "^ " | dd-list --stdin says:

For the purpose of this transition these are fine. But yes, it would
better if these packages could depend on something newer.

> Hakan Ardo <hakan@debian.org>
>    toolchain-source

For some reason this depends on both automake1.4 and
automake1.7. Weird.

> Debian PHP Maintainers <pkg-php-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
>    php4
>    php5

php4 is fairly old, but I'm surprised php5 still uses automake 1.4. Is
this really the case?

> Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
>    glade

Glade apparently still generates 1.4 Makefile.am files. Probably easy
to fix, if anyone is working on glade anymore.

--
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com