Re: kernel/d-i/security/release meeting at DebConf6

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:38:46PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 01:52:47PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Perhaps we disable new kernel features for etch 1/2?  e.g., limit new
> > > feature to new hardware support.  For example, we wouldn't want to
> > > turn on something as drastic as preempt in a stable update.

> > So how do you structure this?  I would expect that updates limited to new
> > hardware support shouldn't normally change the kernel ABI at all, which
> > makes it hard to make both the old and new kernel versions available for
> > installation.

> > If it is a new kernel ABI (either because the version number has simply been
> > changed on it, or for other reasons), what gets done with out-of-tree module
> > packages?

> If ever the new out-of-tree module and d-i kernel reunification is in place,
> it will be easy enough to rebuild all packages which depend on the abi-changed
> kernel.

"rebuilding" them doesn't address the question of making them available for
both old and new kernels.  Since the assumption seems to be that etch 1/2
uses a different upstream kernel version than etch, to be able to continue
providing security support for the etch versions it seems that you need a
separate source package (or a whole new suite in dak complete with w-b
support!) for any packages being rebuilt against the etch 1/2 kernel.