Re: Starting a transition to ocaml 3.09.2

Steve Langasek wrote:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:43:46AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 10:21:49PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 01:17:04PM +0200, Samuel Mimram wrote:

A new version of ocaml (3.09.2) is available. Since the caml libraries
are binary-incompatible between releases, this means that we have to
rebuild all the caml libraries before caml can hit testing. Do you see
any problem if we start a transition to ocaml 3.09.2?

It's not clear to me whether there would be problems.  Please hold off on
starting this transition until we have a handle on which packages need to be
updated to go into etch for the X11R7 transition; I don't *think* any
ocaml-using packages are affected, but better safe than sorry.

I also don't remember any ocaml packages which where in /usr/X11R6 and co,
altough we have a few packages which do depend on X (labltk, lablgtk2, etc).

There is the issue of the rpath though, which is removed for some packages,
but maybe not for all, and which by default sets the rpath to /usr/X11R6
stuff.

Maybe we should make sure 3.09.2 has no rpath at all, or move this rpath to
/usr/lib or something ?

Packages should ideally have no rpath at all, as mentioned by policy.  If
this is too difficult to achieve, an rpath of either /usr/X11R6/lib or
/usr/lib should be mostly harmless.

In the past we used chrpath to remove most of the rpaths "manually". I've recently integrated a patch which should prevent ocaml from putting rpaths in the generated libraries (it's in the latest experimental upload). So the problem should be gone now.

Cheers,

Samuel.

BTW, do you have any ETA of when we'll be able to upload the new caml?