Status of Debian Sarge R2

Hi,

the purpose of this mail is to make sure we all have the same idea
what's currently missing. If you disagree or if there are more things
to say about, please just answer.
All packages which we currently consider for R2 are listed at [1].

Packages still RC buggy in R2
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

We currently consider the following packages as RC buggy for R2:
- sudo: proposed fix exists at [2], Bdale wants/needs to review it
- tar: missing configuration parameter, upload in progress

Missing packages from security.debian.org
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Currently a few packages are missing from security.d.o. For now (as a
temporarily solution) Andi has an upload generator if he gets the
changes files. See [3] for a list of packages still missing in s-p-u
but availible via security.d.o.
ndiswrapper-modules-i386 and hostap-modules-i386 seem to trigger a bug
in lisa, which needs to be fixed (currently, they're in NEW; issue is
that lisa considers warnings as errors on line 96, where it should
rather sound like "if  reject_message.find("Rejected") != -1:" (taken
from jennifer)).

kernel-updates delayed to Sarge 3.1r3
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

We agreed with both the d-i and the kernel team to delay the
kernel-updates and their modules for sarge to R3 as the new kernels will
break loads of installation methods without extra work; it will also
break CD building in a subtle way.
This will give us more time to fix issues or we could even find a way
how to not break d-i with the newer kernels.

Timeline for R2 Release

As soon as both sudo and tar are fixed, we will stop accepting new fixes
for Sarge r2 (except if there are more rc bugs) and work on getting the
lists of packages to ftp-master so that sarge r2 will really happen.

Greetings
Martin

[1] http://release.debian.org/stable/missing-security.html
[2] http://klecker.debian.org/~joey/security/sudo/