Re: bug in tar 1.14-2.1

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 18:36 +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2006-03-25 Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > However, I don't immediately understand why the auto* tools are being
> > invoked by make during this build?
> [...]
>
> ametzler@argenau:/tmp$ lsdiff -z tar_1.14-2.1.diff.gz | \
>                                  egrep -v '/debian/|/src/'
> tar-1.14/config/config.guess
> tar-1.14/config/config.sub
> tar-1.14/po/de.po
> tar-1.14/configure.ac
> tar-1.14/doc/tar.texi
>
> You are patching configure.ac, which causes auto* to try to regenerate
> ./configure.  Remove the patchlet and it should build fine.

Aha!  Thanks.  Somehow, I missed that.  The only change was part of a
patch from upstream to replace a buggy use of valloc with use of malloc
instead, such that configure no longer needed to test for the presence
of valloc.  I can see no problem with undoing that change in
configure.ac and touching configure.

> [1] It actually FTBFS for me, with auto* installed:

Interesting.  I'm not very motivated to chase that down in 1.14, if for
no other reason than unstable is using 1.15 at this point.

Bdale