Re: Status of PowerPC64?

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 11:13:09PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Dear Release managers and assistants,

> what is the current status of the inclusion of a powerpc64 architecture?

> Are there plans to include it in the archive?

> If so, for when is the inclusion planned?
> Or, what's the current status of the port as perceived by you.

> Is the port official and grown-up enough for Debian to maintain 64bit
> powerpc machines?

The question of which ports are included in the archive is one for the ftp
team to decide, not the release team.  (Yes, amd64 integration is a
requirement for the etch release, but that's an architecture that everyone
agrees should be in the archive -- the release blocker only specifies what
order certain things need to happen in.)

Informally, I'm pretty sure that there are no plans for inclusion of a full
powerpc64 port in the Debian archive, since it has the same performance
problems as sparc64 for applications that don't require the extra address
space.