Re: Multiarch support (was Moving 32-bit libraries to (/usr)/lib32 on amd64)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:21:43AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 03:42:48AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:

> > Will ia32-libs on ia64 still be supported for the etch release?

> I hope so or something that works just like it :)  Commercial anti-virus
> product Sophos SWEEP is mandatory on Unix/Linux/Windows where I work.
> On AMD64 "out of the box" it works (and is supported) on Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux.

Hum, but the question was about ia64, not amd64...

> Following email exchanges with Sophos, it looks as if they've hard coded
> dependencies on glibc locations - which Debian doesn't meet.
> This hard coding is a bad idea - but is solved _completely_ by ia32-libs
> :)

What mechanism do they use for this hard-coding, exactly?  Unless they chose
the dumbest of all possible implementations, it's likely that it can be
worked around.

Anyway, pretty off-topic for debian-release; MFT set to -devel.