Re: making udev require 2.6.15 kernels

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 10:33:32AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 11, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Why temporary, out of curiosity?  This doesn't seem like a temporary
> > problem; I think this is an issue that will be just as applicable for etch+1
> > as it is for etch, and I think we should be honest about that.
> Because maybe in 5-10 years from now most hardware devices will have a
> free firmware. I do not really believe that this will happen, but by
> proposing an exception with a much limited scope than the past GR I hope
> that it will be less controverial and easier to be approved.
> Also note that I wrote "distribute on install media" and not "allow in
> main".

As the install media are built our of main though, this is probably not going
to cut it without proof that it can be done on a technical point of view.

Why not simply have a non-free set of install media, and be done with it,
sounds like a much sanner proposal, without legal hurdle, just in need of
technical work.

Friendly,

Svne Luther