sparc buildd issues [Re: Release candidate architecture requalification results; amd64 is RC]

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 04:14:35AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Sun SPARC
> ---------
> Initially, it seemed like sparc ought to have the easiest time of the
> four to get requalified.  Despite misgivings earlier this year about
> upstream support, sparc is generally doing well; since the sarge
> release, two new sparc buildds have been brought on-line.
> Unfortunately, in the same period two buildds have gone *off-line*,
> including vore.debian.org which was the designated porter machine; and
> conversations with DSA revealed the presence of persistent kernel
> problems affecting the stability of the remaining buildds.  It is taking
> some time to pin down this problem since it only shows up under load,
> but the porters are working their way through the bug step by step.  In
> the meantime, even if this bug might not affect all sparc hardware,
> having it affect all of our build daemons is certainly a showstopper, so
> sparc will be removed from consideration until we no longer have to
> worry about OpenOffice builds (or other intensive package builds)
> crashing the buildd machines.

I have a few Ultra5 machines available, as well as sufficient memory, disk
and bandwidth to support expansion. I could probably also get a 280R, and in
the future possibly a V240 or such.

What is this kernel problem, how does it manifest? Which branch, 2.4 or 2.6?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.