Re: [stable-proposed-update] backup-manager "stable" version

Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@sukria.net> writes:

> Backup Manager 0.6 (stable version) was released[1] a couple of days
> ago. This version has a better shape than the one in sarge and is much
> more useful (more features).

> A lot of users asked me if it was possible to backport "officially"
> backup-manager 0.6 to sarge. The dependencies are very light and the
> 0.6-1 package installs corectly over a sarge system.

> Moreover, the version in sarge was a development version (0.5.7) while the
> one I'm speaking about (0.6) is not (bug fixes[2], full translations,
> features harmonization...).

> Is that something possible or should I say to my users that they have to
> wait for etch, or use manually the sid package on their sarge system?

One thing that you can always do is upload new packages to backports.org,
regardless of whether stable itself gets updated.  A lot of Debian stable
users know to look there already.  I believe backports.org now uses the
same upload mechanism as Debian proper, and therefore your sponsor would
be able to upload packages there as well (but you'll want to read the
documentation first, since there are version numbering conventions, etc.,
to make upgrades work properly).