Re: Removal of postgis [was: List of remaining libraries for C++ transition]

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 02:16:07AM +0200, alex bodnaru wrote:
> postgis is a package providing a plugin for postgresql, hence the
> library file(s) are located within the postgresql hierarchy, and are not
> for general interest (as for linking to general c programs).

Ok, this would have been my guess.  In that case, please drop the shlibs
from this package; shlibs files are only relevant to shared libraries, which
you have just said this is not.  Likewise, the soname embedded in this
object is only relevant if something is going to link against it as a
library, and the liblwgeom.so symlink is also pointless.

> the soname changing significance is usually a change in the abi, and in
> postgis there is also a very important meaning: change in the format of
> the saving the gis data in the databases.

Yes, for plugins you're free to manage the names of files within the
package, and the names of the binary packages themselves, according to the
governing conventions for whatever program this is a plugin for.

> besides the c++ abi change,

which (in conclusion) only requires a recompile for postgis.

> i hope that now our differences may be settled, so that postgis[01] will
> get to general debian users, thus facilitating debian support of more
> packages, that might use postgis.

There's still no reason that I see here to rename the postgis source package
to postgis1.  It doesn't have anything to do with your transition plan,
which only applies to binary packages.

Regards,