Re: Let's let lm-sensors, wxwindows2.4 in; and other thoughts

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 05:10:00PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:

> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 05:14:19PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> <snip>
> >> One removal should likewise get wxwindows in:

> >> # Don't wait for subversion
> >> remove rapidsvn/0.8.0-3

> > That's not one removal, because pysvn also depends on rapidsvn.
> Ah, two.  :-P
> > I don't
> > see any reason to drop packages from testing for this transition; I've
> > been working with the subversion maintainers to get that package fixed up.

> So britney still ignores Build-Depends?  Otherwise subversion is clogged
> behind swig1.3 and pike7.6, which would be really no good.

Yes, britney ignores Build-Depends.  Thank God.

> >> (This is a prereq for getting libpng in.)

> > And that really shouldn't be anything we need to rush on.
> Except that the KDE transition is now delayed by it.  As I noted, a very
> large number of KDE-dependenct packages -- most of which are otherwise
> ready to go -- have the overly strict dependency on new libpng, including
> kdesdk, which is not a good removal candidate.

It's a prereq for the KDE transition.  That doesn't mean it's delaying it,
given that it will still take some time to get the KDE transition together.
Subversion itself now has its RC bugs fixed, and only waits on perl (...
again) to be built on all archs.

I'm still fine with removing pysvn and rapidsvn if libpng does hold up KDE,
but it still looks to me like subversion has a shot at getting in first.

> There's so much in the pile that temporarily removing a few leaf packages to
> let the block in is not a bad idea though.

That's certainly true, it's just a question of being sure we've identified
the right leaf packages such that they actually help the process.