[DRAFT] Another update on transition statuses

Release team -- please take this, edit it as you see fit, and post it
to d-d-a if deemed appropriate.  I made some fairly strong recommendations
regarding the libssl fiasco, but I think they're correct -- and people
probably ought to be warned about this immediately.

--
We currently still have quite a lot of transitions going on.

*Please don't* upload shlib bumps or lib renamings unless required by one of
these transitions.  This has not changed since
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/08/msg00014.html,
but some people seem to have forgotten.

Of the transitions listed in Andreas Barth's previous message, glibc 2.3.5,
X.org, and GNOME 2.10 have entered etch.  Yay!  Since my previous message to
gcc-release, so have gcc-4.0 and gmp.  Double yay, and congrats to everyone
involved!

libssl 0.9.8
===========
The libssl maintainer went and uploaded a new version.   Its symbols aren't
versioned yet, and it doesn't have proper Conflicts: with libssl0.9.7, so
it's likely to cause random breakage on installation if anything gets linked
to both versions.  We don't want this transition to be happening right now.

We also want to keep this away from the other transitions.  It's already in
the top 15 stallers.  If libssl0.9.8 gets tied up with the KDE transition,
people will scream -- and it already is, thanks to openssh-krb5, tellico, and
php4 (all of which should be reuploaded with built against libssl0.9.7-dev
ASAP).

Please don't make *any* upload depending on libssl0.9.8.  If your package
depends on libssl, make it depend on and build against libssl0.9.7, and
libssl0.9.7-dev.  If your package already depends on libssl0.9.8, please
upload to *revert* the change, particularly if you want your package to enter
'testing' in the near future.

To repeat: currently libssl0.9.8 breaks things.  Avoid it.

libpng, imlib, and GNOME 1
======================
The removal of libpng10 from the archive has created some unfortunate
shockwaves.  libpng itself should make it into etch with no trouble in 3
days, so most of its dependencies should not worry.

Packages which link against any GNOME1 core libraries or gdk-imlib1 should
rebuild with new versioned dependencies.  See the message from the new
maintainer:
Since then changes have been made so that you don't *need* to rebuild.  On
your next upload, however, you will need to fix your build dependencies.

If you were planning to change your package from a GNOME 1 package to a GNOME
2 package, please just do that instead.  GNOME 2 is already in etch, making
life a lot easier.

Perl
====
A lot of things are waiting for a RC-bug-free perl to build on all
architectures.  No estimate for when that will happen yet, but hopefully
soon.

The C++ ABI transition
==================
This is the main ongoing transition. However, it has several "sub-transitions"
which have dragged in apparently
unrelated packages, which are described individually below.

Please see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/07/msg00001.html for
details about it.  The page at
http://people.debian.org/~mfurr/gxx/ gives some information as to the status
of particular packages.

If you haven't transitioned your C++-using package, now is most likely the
time to do so. (The exception is if your package depends on a C++ library
which has not been transitioned for all architectures yet; this appears to be
a very short list, but do check before uploading.)

FLTK1.1
=======
This is going in in a couple of days, and is only awaiting manual action by
the release team.
*Warning*:
It's going to involve breaking the openexr binary in testing (but not the
library), because otherwise it would have to go in at the same time as JACK &
KDE.

libsigc++-1.2 and APT
==================
This is waiting for the removal of obsolete packages and attendant
cleanup, for a new upload of libapt-front, and for an
RC-bug-free version of perl which builds everywhere.

Packages which depend on libsigc++-1.2 and are caught up in the KDE/JACK
transition will be removed from unstable temporarily.

JACK & KDE
===========
JACK made a major interface change a while back from libjack0.80.0-0 to
libjack0.100.0-0.  This change is essentially complete in unstable.  (If your
package hasn't undergone it, it should do so now, unless it depends on an
untransitioned C++ library, which I think isn't the case for any such
package.) Unfortunately, this has gotten caught up in the C++ transition,
because ARTS depends on JACK, and all of KDE depends on ARTS.

KDE is going from 3.3 to 3.4 in parallel with its C++ ABI transition.  We do
not yet have an estimate for when transitioned KDE will be ready to enter
etch.  It will almost certainly be after all of the others listed above
(except openssl0.9.8, which we are trying to avoid).

If your package is one of the hundreds listed as stalled by
jack-audio-connection-kit, qt-x11-free, arts, openexr, kdelibs, flac,
unixodbc, taglib, or id3lib3.8.3 at http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/stalls.html,
you've been caught up in this transition.  As you can imagine, we would
really, really like to get this transition done.

Other transitions
Please, please don't.  We really hope we can finish the KDE transition soon,
and then there should be a period when you can start doing other transitions.
Any other transition which would delay any of the packages involved in the
KDE/JACK transition could set us back weeks.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,