Re: Bug Squashing Party next weekend -- September, 2th - 4th

On August 29, 2005 19:37, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> As Qt and kdelibs also have made their C++ transition in unstable we
> should be able to target allmost all g++ 4.0 related bugs this time. On
> the other hand this means that a Qt or kdelibs build-dependency is no
> excuse anymore for not fixing your RC bugs so expect removals from
> testing for related bugs in the near future. You might want to check the
> release team's FAQ on the topic[0].

It should be noted that kdelibs has not yet built on all architectures,
though due to a recent upload, we will hopefully have the full eleven in a
few days (m68k has yet to start building the latest upload). However, the
transition plan told maintainers to wait until their build-deps had been
built on all architectures before uploading. Furthermore, the BSP
announcement seemed to imply that untransitioned packages would be removed
from testing very soon, though that this was not the intended message was
just established on IRC (where only some people will see it).

All the same, I would urge a little patience before jumping in and NMUing
untransitioned KDE packages. Whether NMUs are attacks or not is irrelevant.
Rather, the issue is one of clear communication, since I can imagine many
maintainers who thought that they were complying with the wishes of the
powers-that-be becoming rather cross at seeing their packages NMUed for
having lagged behind the transition.

If the policy of the release team has been softened, and maintainers should
be uploading packages that use kdelibs immediately, some sort of
announcement should be made, perhaps even by the KDE team, and sent to the
appropriate KDE-related lists.

Cheers,
Christopher Martin