Re: LSB version for etch

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 02:00:16AM -0700, Matt Taggart wrote:

> Andreas Barth writes...

> > I think we should start to discuss which LSB version we want to have as
> > basis for etch soon.

> I don't know of any reason why it can't be LSB 3.0 (spec release this week).
> It does require a newer glibc than sarge and some of the X tests might require
> Xorg to pass, but those are both goals for etch right? I'll be running the 3.0
> tests on etch soon.

> > about LSB, you can of course lead that discussion if you want. In any
> > case, we would be thankful for your input on this matter, especially on
> > a list of differences between LSB 1.3 (which is still the standard in
> > Debian), and the best-match for etch in your opinion.

> I think we might even been 2.0 compliant in sarge, but we're still testing
> that.

Jeff Licquia is certainly of the belief that sarge is not 2.0 compliant, but
I haven't seen any specifics on this.  I gather
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-lsb/2005/06/msg00012.html> comprises the
results of a number of the tests for sarge, but I'm not tracking LSB closely
enough to appreciate the significance of the specific failures without a lot
of digging.

> > Feel free to start a public discussion by posting these information
> > directly to debian-devel, or to hand them over to the release team or to
> > me, so that we can start a public discussion, or in anything else as you
> > consider it fit.

> Ok, good idea, I'll bring the subject up on debian-lsb and maybe send a
> pointer or summary to debian-devel for those not on debian-lsb.

Looks like there's been a discussion about doing stuff for LSB 3.0 support,
but no discussion yet about whether it's sensible and appropriate to target
LSB 3.0 for etch?

> > If there is anything else from your side on that matter, please don't
> > hesitate to tell us.

> OK.
> How do you feel about multi-arch?
>  http://people.debian.org/~taggart/multiarch/

I'm definitely in favor of multiarch as a long-term strategy.  Some members
of the ftp team seem to be less convinced.  For etch, it would be nice to at
least have the groundwork laid, where we have a standard that says where the
runtime linker should be for each architecture, provide a linker in that
location as well as in the current location, and update the toolchain so
that binaries are built with support for the multiarch linker path; I think
that the set of packages we should actually support *installing* in a
multiarch configuration for etch is rather minimal.  But in any case,
standardization seems to still be the first step?

> How do you feel about support for alternate (ie non-sysv) init systems?

I've encouraged Lars Wirzenius's interest in pursuing a dependency-based
init system for etch.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer