The status of the etch RC policy

Is the Etch RC Issues list supposed to be:
  - A subset of policy
  - A superset of policy
  - Some hodgepodge I can't quite work out
?

There's some things on it for which I can not find a reference in any
released debian-policy package; I'm trying to figure out if I should
expect them in a future policy document.

More specifically, Bill Allombert referred me to this document for
#316093, which deals with non-plain-text conffiles in ncurses-base.
The alternative is sufficiently aggravating (and the request fairly
surprising, to me anyway) that I want to make sure the policy is set
before I have to change the package...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC