Re: release policy changes

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

>> If the ABI changes but not the SONAME then the only sane thing to do is
>> to encode the ABI in the package name, e.g. libstc++-6c1002. Just like
>> for any other lib doing the upcoming c++ abi transition.
>
> We agree on this.

So just to make sure we're on the same page:

The ABI would be encoded in the binary package name, not the source
package.  Then everything just works.  A new upload of the library
source package is made, generating the new binary package name, with a
versioned >= build dependency on the appropriate version of the C
compiler.

Then packages using the library can, at their leisure, link to the new
version of the library.  Once all packages using the library have
linked to the new one, then the old one vanishes from the archive.
Bingo.

Thomas