Re: Release team for etch?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 06:58:35PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> Why not?  The following seems like a reasonable plan to me:
>
> By the end of June, decide the release criteria.
>
> By the end of September, have the GCC changes in place and other
> infrastructural changes that we know we expect.  Have filed bug
> reports on whatever new RC issues will need to be fixed for etch.
> (Such as the GCC change, and whatever else.)
>
> By the end of the year, freeze base.
>
> By March 2006, freeze everything else.
>
> Release in June 2006.
>
> Doesn't seem *impossible*, but it requires swinging into gear right
> now.  What am I missing?

I have to agree.  I know that some people will truck out the classic,
"But I don't want to upgrade my servers every 12 months" argument.  But,
I think that as long as the changes are kept more evolutionary than
revolutionary, it would be possible keep the pain of upgrading rather
minimal.  Besides, with the security team keeping up security support of
oldstable for 12 months or more (that is the number I recall seeing) it
seems like nobody would be "forced" to upgrade until 12 months after
whatever day the next release ships.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez