Re: Uploading to both stable and unstable

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > (Please CC me on reply)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think we are going to add many fixes to emacs21 until emacs22
> > comes out and it would be nice to add those fixes to stable
> > as well.
>
> Err... did you notice that stable has been released recently?
>
> Do you know what stable means?  And what's the difference between
> stable and volatile or *cough* unstable?
>
> > Is it still possible? I recall we could add more than one distribition
> > name in changelog entries. If so, shall we use 'stable unstable' or
> > 'proposed-updates unstable', or maybe something else?
>
> Those changes will most probably be rejected from stable.
>
> In former times the archive suite could not handle such uploads
> anyway.

In former times the archive suite *handled* such uploads:

gnupg (1.0.4-2) stable unstable; urgency=high

  * Apply security fix patch from Werner.
  * Apply another patch from Werner to fix bogus warning on Rijndael
    usage.
  * Change section to 'non-US'.

 -- James Troup <james@nocrew.org>  Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:47:02 +0000

For security bugs where the package in stable could be used in unstable
as well (because of compatible libraries), this was a useful feature,
it's a pity that it has been removed.