Re: vips packages: remove arm nip2 -> sarge transition?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:41:12AM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> Executive summary: if my understanding is correct, removing arm
> binaries for nip2 will allow completion of vips package rename
> transition to be followed shortly by removal of old vips7.10
> packages.  Other solutions, including requesting removal of vips7.10,
> will not solve the problem of vips and vips7.10 both being in sarge
> until the arm buildds catch up.  Details follow.

vips is currently at position #24 in the rapidly clearing arm Needs-Build
queue.  I don't think asking the FTP team to remove arm binaries is
appropriate at this point.

> Sorry this is so long.  If I get no response in a few days, I'll
> request removal of vips7.10 from sid, but it won't fully solve the
> problem in sarge for reasons that are described in this message.

There's also no reason *not* to request immediate removal of vips7.10 from
sid, AFAICT; you've made it clear that this package is no longer needed or
desired in unstable except on arm due to a missing build, and removing it
from unstable has no adverse effect on testing.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer