Re: C++ ABI transition for etch

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 10:31, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:15:09AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:

> > A proposal for a simplification, which reduces/avoids the renaming of

> > the KDE packages. All KDE packages depend directly or indirectly on

> > libqt3, so it is enough to rename the packages libqt3c102 to libqt3

> > and libqt3c102-mt to libqt3-mt and add a conflict with th old name.

> > This way, you cannot install qt3 dependent packages which are built

> > with different compiler versions. This avoids renaming about 100 out

> > of 400 packages containing libraries.

> Ok, I'm now able to formulate the rationale for the question I had earlier

> about this. Are we sure that all of these KDE apps *need* to depend on

> libqt3c102-mt, or do they just do so because of classic libtool/pkg-config

> bugs? If any one of these KDE apps is linked against libqt3c102-mt solely

> due to historical breakage, we have this scenario:

> Random KDE app, "kohlrabi", gets built with fixed libtool prior to

> transition, loses the Qt dep but retains the kdelibs4 dep

As soon as one uses a single KDE widget QT in pulled in via inheritance.

There are only libkjs.so (_javascript_) and libkjava.so (Java IF to KDEs html

engine) and libkdefakes.so (only some portability funtions) that do not link

to libqt-mt.so.

So only problem I can see is a non GUI application usings KDEs _javascript_

engine. Don't now is something like that exists.

> libqt3c102-mt goes through ABI transition, is renamed libqt3, conflicts with

> old libqt3c102-mt package

> kdelibs4 is rebuilt against libqt3 and the new ABI, becomes installable

> again

> kohlrabi, which depends on kdelibs4, remains installable but is broken

> And as it turns out, for a current example of "kohlrabi", see kdoomsday or

> amarok...

kdoomsday: includes qt headers and .so depends on libqt-mt.so.3. I guess

/usr/lib/kde3/*.so is not searched for shlib dependencies.

amarok: 1.2.3-1 depends on qt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.3.3) and amarok is full

of qt and kde stuff.

--

To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is

-- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com