Re: C++ ABI transition for etch

Steve Langasek writes:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:15:09AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > A proposal for a simplification, which reduces/avoids the renaming of
> > the KDE packages. All KDE packages depend directly or indirectly on
> > libqt3, so it is enough to rename the packages libqt3c102 to libqt3
> > and libqt3c102-mt to libqt3-mt and add a conflict with th old name.
> > This way, you cannot install qt3 dependent packages which are built
> > with different compiler versions. This avoids renaming about 100 out
> > of 400 packages containing libraries.
>
> Ok, I'm now able to formulate the rationale for the question I had earlier
> about this.  Are we sure that all of these KDE apps *need* to depend on
> libqt3c102-mt, or do they just do so because of classic libtool/pkg-config
> bugs?  If any one of these KDE apps is linked against libqt3c102-mt solely
> due to historical breakage, we have this scenario:
>
> Random KDE app, "kohlrabi", gets built with fixed libtool prior to
>   transition, loses the Qt dep but retains the kdelibs4 dep

ok, avoid vegetarians ;)

> I don't know how deep the library dependency chain is on KDE, but it's
> entirely possible that this problem applies all the way up.

the reason I wanted to void package renaming for kde is that most KDE
packages ship with shared libs and binaries in the same package (at
least these have an shlibs file). That should be fixed, but maybe not
as part of the C++ transition. So yes, kdelibs4 should be renamed to
kdelibs4c2 as well.

	Matthias